Melbourne Based Jungian Sand Play Therapist
Jungian Sandplay Therapy is an accredited psychotherapy and counselling technique for adults, adolescents and children. This non-directive therapeutic method has been applied and recognized for over sixty years. First developed by Dora Kalff in the 1950s, Jungian sandplay is based on the psychological principles of C.G. Jung and analytical psychology.
Sandplay is a creative form of therapy using the imagination to facilitate healing using sand, water and miniature figurines and natural objects to create images within a "free and protected space".
For an adult, adolescent or child, an emotional experience may be difficult if not impossible to describe using words. Jungian sand play is used internationally by diverse practitioners and therapists as an alternative to talk therapy. It is particularly useful to address childhood wounds and obstacles to positive change. The series of sandplay images created in the tray creates an ongoing dialogue between the conscious and unconscious psyche which activates a healing process and the development of the personality.
What can Jungian Sandplay psychotherapy help with?
Jungian psychotherapy may be able to help you if you’re familiar with some of these phrases, if you feel that you resonate with them:
- Stress, worry, or anxiety
- Sadness, loss, and grief
- Anger and emotional turmoil
- Loss of meaning, worthlessness
- Being stuck and unable to move forward
- Pain of past hurts & traumatic event
- Relationship issues
- Nightmares and night terrors
- Loss of confidence
- Aggressive behavior
- Self harm
- Adjusting to parent’s separation or divorce
- Food and weight control issues
The method of Jungian psychology
Sandplay is a peaceful, compassionate and safe therapy used to facilitate strong transformative experiences:
- The process is self-directed and client focused, allowing you to decide when and how to engage in the sand and with or without the figurines
- There is no interpretation or focus on what is wrong with you, rather exploring an issue for greater awareness and insight, which comes from within you
- Like other therapeutic forms of therapy, the free and protected space encourages the imagination to uncover as yet unknown or unconscious healing possibilities
- Sandplay provides a bridge between the mind and body as well as the conscious and unconscious elements of thoughts, feelings and behaviours
- The process is facilitated as a journey of the hero/ine who seeks a new understanding of him/her self and relationship with the world and with
- Preparation and assessment ensures this modality is fitted to your individual and unique circumstances; it is not a “one-fit-suits-all” approach.
- An individualised therapy and approach are developed based on your unique reasons and goals to undertake therapy
Therapy may be short term or long term based on your needs
Why is playing with sand therapeutic?
Sand is formed by weathering and the disintegration of rock; over time the forces of wind, rain, ice, cold and heat, break the rock apart into its component parts. This transforms the rocky components into minerals, nutrients, iron and alumina oxides, silica, silt and quartz. These rocks are ancient and enduring, breaking down into the individual grains of sand. It is estimated that it takes a million years for a grain of sand to move 60 kilometres downriver. So, we can see how sand is timeless. When we enter the sand in the ritual of sandplay we are engaging in timelessness. We are entering Sacred time.
One of Melbourne’s most dedicated Jungian psychotherapists
If you are ready to book a session with our qualified Jungian psychotherapist, speak to your Melbourne GP or healthcare practitioner and request a referral today.
For referrals via phone, we can be reached between 9am and 9:30 am from Monday to Friday on (+61) 0439-988-855. Alternatively, you can email a completed referral form (available HERE) to us directly at. firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to learn more about the services provided by therapist Roman Ilgauskas, including counselling, therapy for depression & anxiety, and therapy for complex trauma, feel free to fill in our online enquiry form at any time, and we will get back to you with all the information you require.